Immigration: Understanding the Prospective Marriage Visa

The prospective marriage visa is commonly known as the fiancé visa, and it is officially referred to as the subclass 300 visa. As implied, this document is designed to allow non-citizens and non-residents to migrate into Australia and marry their prospective spouse. You can apply for this visa if you are planning on marrying an Australian citizen, a qualifying New Zealand citizen or even a permanent resident in the country. Here are the important elements that you should understand about the prospective marriage visa before applying.

Eligible Applicants

You should ensure that you meet the criteria for the fiancé visa before launching the application. Basically, you should have met the pertinent prospective spouse in person and know them well enough. This is critical even when you are in an arranged marriage or met via Internet dating. Exchange of photographs or video chats will not be considered as part of meeting. They should be willing to sponsor you and have the intent to marry and live with you. Additionally, this visa is intended for a member of the opposite sex, so you must consider this factor. If you are in a same-sex relationship, you should consider applying for a partner visa.

Inclusion of Family

It is possible to include your family when launching your prospective marriage visa application. However, the included people can only be either dependent children or other close dependent relatives. You must ensure that the pertinent family members meet the outlined requirements for inclusion in an immigration application. Moreover, you should have official documentation as evidence of familial relationship.

Potential Rights and Obligations

You should understand the scope of the fiancé visa before application to ensure that it matches your long-term requirements. This visa subclass will only be valid after it is granted for only nine months. This document will not be replaced once it expires, even though you still have the intention to get married to your sponsor. However, you can migrate into the country and even work or study as long as the fiancé visa is valid. Moreover, you can travel freely from and into Australia. When you receive your visa, you must marry before the visa expires. Once you marry, you should apply for a Partner visa because the fiancé one will become invalid. In addition, you must comply with all the rules and regulations imposed in the visa.

After launching the application, you should inform the Immigration officers on any changes in your life, including pregnancy, death of a dependent and change of residence.