All You Need to Know About the Australian Partner Visa

The Australian partner visa (subclass 820) allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen to live in the country for 15 to 24 months. Read on to learn how you can apply for a tourist partner visa. 

Qualifying for the Visa

Applicants must provide sufficient proof that they are either spouses or de-facto partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New-Zealand citizens. Married couples must be genuinely committed to each other and willing to live together. De-facto partners must have been in a relationship for at least 12 months before the visa application. The applicant's partner must meet the sponsor qualifications set by the immigration department. For example, they should not owe any debt to the Australian government. Besides, they must have sufficient funds to support their partner's stay in Australia.

Other eligibility requirements include: 

  • Each partner must be 18 years or above.
  • The applicant must meet the set health requirements. They should not have a communicable disease or an illness that prevents Australian residents from accessing healthcare.
  • The applicant must be of good character. A police clearance certificate will help prove your case.
  • If the applicant has a child, the immigration department will examine whether the visa is in the best interests of the child. Typically, they will evaluate the child's needs such as education, health, religious beliefs and socialisation. 

Understanding the Application Process

An immigration lawyer will help you with the application process. The visa can be applied online or in Australia. The application process involves submitting identification documents, proving your relationship, indicating any dependents and providing your character documents. The immigration department will give regular updates once they begin to review your request. For example, they may ask you to submit your biometrics or rectify mistakes in your initial application.

Your case officer will interview you over the phone. The main objective of the interview is to ascertain the genuineness of your relationship. As such, you will be asked about the history of your relationship, how you relate with your partner and your future plans regarding the union. You could ask the case officer for a formal interview to ensure your lawyer is present. Your request may or may not be granted.

People with the subclass 820 visa can apply for a permanent visa (subclass 801). They are free to live, work and study in the country as long as their visa is valid. They must uphold the Australian law. Learn more about the process by contacting tourist partner visa services.